Monday, March 9, 2015

Make It Monday: Clay Spoon Rest

 
I hate how disgusting the oven gets every time we cook. We don't have a spoon rest so the cooking utensils get put down on the white stove or on our counter. Pet peeve: dirty counters.

You can easily change this tutorial to suit your style. Throw in some pain, cookie cutters, etc. So let's start this week with some crafting! I dug deep into my supplies and pulled out what I needed.


-Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay in white
-Scrapbooking stamps
-Stamp ink
-Extra stamp ink lid (optional; makes stamping easier and cleaner)

Preheat oven according to the directions on your package. For Sculpey, I preheated the oven to 275 degrees. While the oven is preheating, begin shaping your clay. If you are using Sculpey brand, you will see that the clay is already split up into four or five sections. You will only need one of those sections.

Shape your clay into a spoon-like shape. and then pinch up the sides of the top.


You can either smooth out the sides of what you have pinched up, or take the lazier (yet fancy) route. I'm lazy so I pinched the edge and made it wavy. I then took the pads of my fingers and evened the surface of my spoon rest out so it appeared smooth.


Then, I picked out my scrapbook stamp and put it, flat side down, onto the extra stamp lid. Using a spare stamp lid allows a cleaner way of stamping. Make sure your spare stamp lid is clean. I dipped the stamp into ink (I chose gold) and stamped it onto my desired area.



I had to resmooth some areas where the lid's edges pushed into the clay. Then, the spoon rest was ready to go into the oven! When I'm about to bake clay, I prefer to set them on glass dishes rather than foil. It keeps the bottom flatter.


The directions for Sculpey is to bake your clay for 15 mins for every 1/4 inch of clay. My spoon rest is nearing an inch at its thickest so I set my timer for an hour. After baking, let your rest sit for another half an hour.




Now to get to cooking in order to test out your new spoon rest!


No comments:

Post a Comment