Saturday, December 6, 2014

Cinnamon Ornaments - The Messy Truth

No one wants to admit that they had issues creating their favorite new pieces of art. However, I'm going to tell you the messy truth about the adorable cinnamon ornaments I showed you in my post about Christmas decorations.


There were several times during the creation process that I cursed the name of Martha Stewart for sharing her recipe. It looked so easy and the pictures were lovely...everyone always says that cinnamon ornaments will smell amazing for years...why shouldn't I make them?

Because it's a crumbly mess and I don't have a rolling pin. That's right - I'm too broke to give in to my rolling pin needs. But that's beside the point.

No where in the tutorial is there mention of how crumbly your dough is at first, or how long you will be spending working with it to make it soft and smooth. Also, using this for kitty feet was not a good idea. Salt dough is soft and easy to make impressions with, but cinnamon dough is dense. We had to push their poor, little fighting feet down pretty hard. Where we ended up moving around the cats' ornaments so much to get them under their feet, the top parts were trying to crumble once they were dry. I was able to fix it up with some school glue, but it was still frustrating.

Complaining aside, I love my cinnamon ornaments. The house smells great and I look forward to unpacking them next year and being slapped in the face with the scent of Christmas. My official recommendation is to definitely make them - with a rolling pin and without kitten feet.

I used my last little bit of dough to make these gift tag decorations. I used a bottle cap as a cutter.



I made a few of these for Christmas gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment