Saturday, December 13, 2014

Salt Dough Snowmen


If you've been reading, you know that I'm both strapped for cash and lacking Christmas decorations. So it's back to handcrafting for me!

This week I decided that I wanted some little snowman figurines to sit on top of my oven. I pulled out a basic salt dough recipe and glammed it up!

1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup water
BAM dash of silver glitter


I start rolling the dough into balls and building my snowmen.  For arms I used the stems off of leaves. They are remotely uniform and can easily be replaced next year if need be. After building my snowmen, I pushed the ends of the stems into them to make the holes where they will go after baking. DO NOT LEAVE THE STICKS IN THE SNOWMEN WHILE BAKING.




I even made a fat snow cat!
 I baked them at 250 F for 2 hours. Once they were done baking, I pulled out my puff paint and went to work on them. I went classic coal eyes and carrot noses. I gave the mother and daughter pink bows and their heads and the father has a yellow bow tie.



They began drooping a little while baking, making them look almost melted. I just say that it's the parents running after the kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment