Monday, November 18, 2013

Not Your Grandma's Shirt (Anymore)

I was digging through my large pile of scrap clothes trying to figure out my next project when I realized that most of them look like my grandma's clothes! Techinically, Jesse's grandma's clothes since some of them were handed down from her, to my MIL, and then to me.  Then I dug up one perfect gray shirt. It was rather boring, however, and had a tear towards the bottom of it. I really loved the cut of the neck though.

 The mess on the bed is obviously only to show how many clothes I have in my scrap bag and is in no way a reflection of my housekeeping. 

Then a beautiful teal colored shirt caught my eye. But I pulled it out to find that it had some horrible accents on it and was way too short. And was very much so a grandma shirt.


 I adored how it looked with the gray shirt, though. I knew then that I would have to cut up the teal shirt and use it as accents on the gray one.


I decided that I would use the teal shirt to lengthen the gray shirt's sleaves and bottom as well as add a bit around the neck. I could also make a nice accent while covering up the hole! So I started cutting. I folded the teal shirt in half and cut a few inches off the bottom and a few inches off the end of the sleeves.


I then cut a couple inches off the collar of the teal shirt.


Now, I could stop cutting now and start sewing. But I want to add an accent to the body of the gray shirt in order to cover up the holes. The granny shirt gave me the perfect opportunity to do this with it's hideous wonderful accent. Yeah, I totally cut that off and will sew that onto my shirt and it will not look ugly. It will look wonderful. Simply because I want it to. 


I pin it all in place and run off to sew it all up! I made sure to sew in the same place as the seam in the gray shirt so my additions wouldn't be as noticeable.


Time for some awkward bathroom selfies to show off my work!



 Let me know if you have any questions!

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Looks awesome! Check out the pic on my Silent Sunday post of my kitty. I was trying to get a good picture of him and every time I would take a pic he would look away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! This is awesome! And I love the gray and teal combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever way to create a new look from, past time gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to figure out how to revamp the "granny" shirt into something more stylish.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Aws cute!
    Hi! I am visiting from the climb linky and I love your blog. I am your new bloglovin and twitter friend. Follow back would be lovely.

    Hugs and love sent your way.
    Melody
    http://domesstique.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following!

      I"ll be heading over to Domesstique-cated Mummy right now!

      Delete